Steve DeMars

Default Concrete - How thin can I go . . .

I have a garage, 17' X 20' inside area. It is a converted carport . . .
There lies the problem . . . The carport was poured with a "hump" in the
middle running across the 20'. This was so the rain blowing in from front
are rear would drain. Well now I have decided to make this area into my
shop, I have a problem. I want it to be level. In the center the thickest I
can pour is 1.5". Any thicker and it creates all sorts of problems, like
doors not opening. As I go down the slopes it will get to be about 3.5"
thick. The existing sloped slab is over 20 years old with no cracks.
I have been told that if I pour it this way, it will crack . . . Any
suggestions appreciated . . .