Martin H. Eastburn

Rich Grise wrote:

On Mon, 01 Aug 2005 14:26:55 -0400, Mungo Bulge wrote:

Good points. Myself, being a Canadian (don't laugh) consider the same
economic points and until yesterday pondered heavily the pros and cons
of space exploration, with the cons usually winning. I have been aware
of the contribution of space exploration on society as a whole and
that the spin-off of technology has benefited almost every one of us
at one point in our lives, but I never really believed in the economic
reality of the direct benefits until I read an editorial in our local
newspaper.

OK, I'm breaking in here, before I've even read the rest of your post,
but that's OK, I've singned with my "I'm stoned" sig. The thing is,
howcome of all of the crap americans waste money on, Space Exploration
is the _ONLY ONE_ of which they _demand_, _in advance_ that there's
a _guaranteed_ monetary payoff?

What's the economic return on AIDS research?

What's the economic return on keeping Yellowstone Park pristine?

Let's just pull our pants up and go there because we CAN!

Thanks!
Rich
[and yes, even upon third proofreading, I've opted to refrain
from capitalizing "american", because it's used here merely
as an adjective. - Thanks! Rich]

America spends Billions on trash projects - Billions on countries that continue or just
hate us and hate their slaves.... Spend billions on the UN...
Tons down the rat hole just because it is right.

Where is Europe on AIDS research ? - Eu ??? or are they in it for money only...
Yellowstone Park is not pristine - it was 2/3's burnt down a few years
ago because WE didn't thin the forest as WE defined best - but listened
to the small voices instead... Millions of animals died in the fires. Tons
of pollution to the air also - but the tree hugger wanted to let the forest
fend for itself - and forgot what nature does.

The payoff on some of this is in futures. In the research itself.
After all - you use stuff that was invented for use in the American space shots.

We all do. And that is part of the whole thing. Bring up the whole with work
of a few.

Martin

--
Martin Eastburn