Don Stauffer

This depends somewhat on the definition of sensor and detector. We
fought this when talking to others all the time. To those of us in EO
when the first mosaiced sensors came out, a single chip is one sensor.
Each sensor could have many detectors on it. Before the mosaics, when
scanning was done with mirrors, then indeed sensor and detector meant
the same thing. But when folks developed mosaics, such as CCDs,
addressable diode arrays, and such, then we still said a single
processed piece was the sensor, but each sensor could have multiple
detectors, with detector and "pixel" being the same thing in a
non-scanned system.

That's not what I said, and it's wrong. Each pixel has only one actual
sensor
associated with it - A pixel doesn't have 4 'cells' (ie sensors). By your
definition my diagrammed CCD would actually be a four-pixel sensor.
The missing

..