Pete C.

Lumpy wrote:

I want to add a small (4 or 6") cross table
vise to my drill press. I see similar tables
all the way from $40 (Harbor Freight) to over
$100 (Craftsman) and I would imagine there are
some even more expensive versions.

Are the Harbor Freight models junk? Do the
higher priced styles have finer adjustment
resolution? Are some made with magic dust?

DoN. Nichols wrote:
I do feel that I should ask what you are planning to do with
this. The reason for asking is that while these are fairly nice
for drilling holes in some predefined pattern, by cranking in the
locations, they also tempt people to use the drill press as a
milling machine. *This* is a disaster waiting to happen...

Not milling. Drilling .100 inch spaced holes
in printed circuit boards. No side load.

Two drill presses. One a conventional Craftsman 1/2" chuck.
The other a dremel, 28k rpm through a 0.7mm dental burr.
Dremel is for the smaller stuff like component leads.
Craftsman is for the larger holes like mounting holes.
PC board material is generally laminated glass cloth,
1 oz copper clad.

Thanks DN and SP for the responses.

Lumpy
--
In Your Ears for 40 Years
http://www.lumpymusic.com

Perhaps visit cnczone.com and have a look at the CNC routers people are
building for drilling and milling PCBs.

Pete C.