Peter Wiley

Fortunately these days I live in Tasmania. I could tell you some of the
loopholes in the laws here, but why bother...

Broadly correct about needing a place to shoot, tho a rifle range will
do provided you do 6 (IIRC) attendances per year. I think the laws are
stupid and completely unproductive but when has that ever deterred
politicians? If it doesn't work, you double the dose and try again.
Since I own a 600 acre property I'm relatively unaffected regardless.

Gunner, some 200K AK-type guns alone were imported into Australia by
one distributor. There were a total of approx 500K firearms of all
types surrendered, mostly shotguns & 22RF semiautos. Certainly nothing
like 200K AK-type semiautos surrendered, leaving aside all those other
seimauto Rugers and the like. Not real hard to do the math and come to
the conclusion that there's a hell of a lot of firearms unaccounted
for. Real sad, that.

As to the poster who said he could own anything he liked - you can't.
You can own a wider range of firearms without restriction, but that's
not the same thing. And that's the end of my interest in this thread.

PDW

In article , Geoff M
wrote:

On Fri, 29 Jul 2005 17:39:49 +0100, Peter Wiley wrote:

................. except I don't have any problems getting bolt action
rifles here in Australia. Ooooops, there's that ignorance factor again.

Not in Victoria I hope, th elatest proposal there is to ban an rifle, of
any sort that *potentially* could take a large magazine. This would include
the venerable Lee Enfield, of which there are a few left in Oz.
As I understand the rules there now, you also can't own a gun unless you
have somewhere to shoot it, with written owners permission when you get
your license. Can't just have a gun to go shooting with mates or on a
farmers land.
I could earn more money in Oz than here, but it is one of the main reasons
I am staying in New Zealand with my un-PC collection of baby-killers.
Geoff