hvactech2

On Tue, 26 Jul 2005 00:33:19 -0400, Randy Roberts
wrote:

I have three 18 year old carrier units. I was checking R22 pressures on
all. Scrader valve apprarently stuck open and leaking on unit #3. The
next day I found cooling fan running with compressor not running but
bubbles comming out of scrader valve on suction line. I checked
pressures on high an low side, both about 125. The next day I installed
manifold gage and started unit. The suction started to drop and I open
the R22 supply. Pressure dropped to about 80 when compressor stopped
running. The fan kept running very slow. Checked 220 line and found lug
on panel beaker melted away from buss bar. Replace mini 220 beaker with
full size 220 breaker. When stating system the condensor fan runs slow
until contactor closed by thermostat then fan runs full speed. The
compressor tries to start but fail after 3 seconds. The system was
running and cooling well before I tested the pressures. At least it was
running better than the other two units.

Here are my questions:
1. Is there a low level freon cutout switch shutting the compressor
down?

Some units do have a low pressure switch but the fact that it tries to
start says it isn't that.

2. Did a loss of freon and or oil cause the compressor to seize?
3. Did the faulty breaker cause the motor to sort-out or did a high
current from low freon overload the breakers or both?
4. What do you recommend?

Thanks for any advise,
Randy

The only way to find out what is wrong is to have it diagnosed by a
local pro who can take the needed readings. it could be any one of a
number of things.
spam protection measure, Please remove the 33 to send e-mail