MM wrote:
I thought it was, or in the process of being, banned, yet I saw reels
of it on the shelves of my local hardware store this morning and the
man said it was news to him that lead-containing solder had been
banned. He reckoned his suppliers kept him up to speed on legislation.

MM

A quote from the directive is:

"1. Member States shall ensure that, from 1 July 2006, new electrical
and electronic equipment put on the market does not contain lead,
mercury, cadmium, hexavalent chromium, polybrominated biphenyls (PBB)
or polybrominated diphenyl ethers (PBDE). National measures restricting
or prohibiting the use of these substances in electrical and electronic
equipment which were adopted in line with Community legislation before
the adoption of this Directive may be maintained until 1 July 2006."

from
http://europa.eu.int/eur-lex/pri/en/...en00190023.pdf

I think the main problem being tackled is the disposal of old equipment
where if they contain lead and are put into landfill, there is a risk
that these chemicals can then leach out into groundwater etc.

Also http://www.dti.gov.uk/sustainability/weee/