Owain

This is another part of our "what to do with the gravel" campaign.
Around much of our house there are paved paths with gravel insets.
There are, in particular, quite long sections of gravel between the
paths and the house wall in some places.
These are an ongoing problem because they're difficult to keep weed
free

Either long-lasting weedkiller (if you don't mind chemicals) or
geotextile membrane underneath (if you do).

Or flamegun occasionally.

and the gravel gets everywhere (especially now that we have
chickens who like nothing more than to scratch in the gravel!).

Remove gravel and replace with pebbles. Bear in mind the chickens will
then scratch elsewhere, which might be even less welcome.

Owain