Rob Morley

In article , "antgel"
says...
Andrew Gabriel wrote:
In article ,
antgel writes:

Further to my recent thread about my SDS tile removal ripping off lots
of the paper on the plasterboard surface:

The paper is actually part of the structural integrity of
the board -- it will be significantly weakened if that's
damaged.

Given that lining with new paper would look bad if only done where the
tiles were, would I be any better off with a thin layer of plaster?
(Some of the area will be retiled, so it doesn't matter, but much will
be painted.)

A reskim always looks better than lining paper in my view.

Does the whole wall need to be reskimmed or can it just cover the
formerly tiled area? I ask as if it's (1), I'm not doing it, but if
it's (2), I'll have a crack.

Obviously there will be a difference in level of the skimmed and
unskimmed parts - you can't feather the edge of a skim coat to hide
it. Probably easiest to cut out the manky board and replace with new
- a taped seam in the board will be easier to hide. Or you could
cover the whole lot with new board.