What do you mean by "plenty of thickness"? The screws would have to go
into the inside of the cutout (ie sideways into the cut portion).

Hmmm... my biz is remodeling/repair. While it certainly doesn't mean
that it doesn't exist, I have never seen a range top that that screws
sideways into the thickness of the top. They have many arrangements
like thumbscrews, clips, compression clamps, etc. that are installed
from underneath and compress an installation ring or the actual top to
the countertop as a means of attachment.

If I understand you correctly, you are saying this:

countertop
attachment screw [-----------------
{ [ thickness of top

Yes? No? How thick is your top?

Yes. There is a bracket that is screwed to each side, and then you drop
in the cooktop and it snaps into it. The counter is 1 1/2" thick.

Leave it to Gaggenau to invent something new and completely
unnecessary. They've made it so that if the cutout isn't exact it isn't
going to fit. The previous model that I'm replacing has a simple clamp.
I called them and they said it was a drop-in replacement. Sure.