Mike Deblis

wrote in message ...
.... gravel drive area issue...

We had something similar. We edged the area with Railway sleepers, pinned to
the ground and to each other using large staples made by the local
blacksmith. Works brilliantly - the gravel is contained, the grass marries
nicely with the sleepers, and it looks good. Stops SWMBO and her friends
driving on the grass when doing turns too... Did take 72 sleepers, though...
we have no membrane - just about 50cm of type 1, with compacted gravel on
top (about 5 - 10 cm).

Use Roundup (aka. Glyphosate - the generic term) on the drive with a
back-pack sprayer. Glyphosate is systemic (taken in by the leaves and goes
down to the roots). very very effective. Has the added advantage that it
immediate decomposes on contact with soil into inert chemicals, so is not
going to kill anything "downstream" (or your pets). Keep it away from direct
spraying into ponds, though.

With a big area like yours, I'd buy a 5liter container from an agricultural
merchant - we buy ours from UAP - its the only cost-effective way. We spray
the drive annually, and that does the trick nicely. Takes me about 2 hours
to do.

Mike