Richard Faulkner

In message , ben
writes
Richard Faulkner wrote:
In message , ben
writes
wrote:
Just wondered what the views are of those who have been through this
before. I am in the latter stages of buying a 4 bed Victorian
detached which has been extended. The structural survey has come
back showing rising damp in the lower walls of 2 downstairs
reception rooms. I am a novice when it comes to 100+ year old
properties.

The Victorian part of the house has no damp proof course from what
we can make out. Is this a concern and should I get one put in?

I have a damp proof surveyor coming to look at the property on Wed -
though I know he'll say various pieces of work need doing.

Some advice I have read says that Victorian properties are damp
period and you should be wary of going over the top and doing
unnecessary work....

Thoughts?

Thanks,
Nick

If it has a Cellar? then best go down there and check for damp as
well.

Long while ago I lived in a victorian property that had damp, went down the
cellar and it revealed a bad case of fungi on the walls and joist resulting
from the damp.

How will this help?

Because if there is damp above then its best to inspect the cellar as well

If the cellar is below ground, you can almost guarantee that it will
be damp. Only proper tanking will resolve damp in a cellar.

I guess I am assuming that a structural survey is a pretty thorough
survey, and the surveyor would have been unlikely to miss damp, (of
concern), in the cellar.

In fact - given your argument, it is probably more important to inspect
the sub floor if there is no cellar, than the cellar if there is one.

Surveyors usually inspect cellars, but rarely inspect sub floors.

--
Richard Faulkner