Brian G

Grumps wrote:
"Brian G" wrote in message
Grumps wrote:
My mother has a 37 year old hot-air central heating system. She has
been paying regularly for BG maintenance. This year, during the
annual inspection/safety check, they condemned the system as
unsafe. It has been 'capped off' and now has a nice red warning
label on it.
The reason for this was due to;
1) The safety cut-off valve being faulty (something that stops the
gas if the flame goes out).
2) The flame is yellow (should be blue).
3) The flue has cracks (these are in the loft space).
All 3 items cannot be repaired or replaced.

[some of my rant snipped]

I've had the three star service with BG now since 1986 and the only
time that they ever failed to carry out a repair was when the parts
were not available any more (knackered cast iron balanced flue
spigot on a wall mounted Potterton Neat-a-Heat) - and they condemned
the boiler because of that (although only after a week of trying to
get the part).

If you look under their Terms and Conditions, you will see that they
will repair a boiler/heating system until the parts become
unavailable and then you have to pay for a new boiler, they won't.

Thanks. Yes, I know. But if they are aware that replacement major
components cannot be obtained, then should they still be taking
maintenance premiums?

Hi Grumps,

If you your mother had the 3 star contract, then this covers more than just
the boiler, it covers the hot water system, boiler and thermostatic
controls, cylinder etc and that part of the contract would still be covered
and therefore premiums would still be payable.

I would suggest that as you are obviously unhappy about BG's service (and
after reading your post I think I would be) you ring them up and ask for a
supervisor and a different techncian to have another look at the system and
either confirm or deny the other fella's findings.

Brian G