Grumps

"Brian G" wrote in message
Grumps wrote:
My mother has a 37 year old hot-air central heating system. She has
been paying regularly for BG maintenance. This year, during the annual
inspection/safety check, they condemned the system as unsafe. It has
been 'capped off' and now has a nice red warning label on it.
The reason for this was due to;
1) The safety cut-off valve being faulty (something that stops the
gas if the flame goes out).
2) The flame is yellow (should be blue).
3) The flue has cracks (these are in the loft space).
All 3 items cannot be repaired or replaced.

[some of my rant snipped]

I've had the three star service with BG now since 1986 and the only time
that they ever failed to carry out a repair was when the parts were not
available any more (knackered cast iron balanced flue spigot on a wall
mounted Potterton Neat-a-Heat) - and they condemned the boiler because of
that (although only after a week of trying to get the part).

If you look under their Terms and Conditions, you will see that they will
repair a boiler/heating system until the parts become unavailable and then
you have to pay for a new boiler, they won't.

Thanks. Yes, I know. But if they are aware that replacement major components
cannot be obtained, then should they still be taking maintenance premiums?