Roger Taylor

Default Compact Florescents burn out at the same time

snippage

Has anyone noticed that Compact Florescent bulbs burn out at the same
time?

Today I went in the bathroom, flipped on
the lights and the other CF bulb started flashing on an off and
seconds later it got real dim and then died. (these were the twisted
type, and both were installed at the same time).

This is more than coincidense.

Note: There is nothing wrong with the wiring, switch or fixtures.

I am going back to standard bulbs though.

Sure they use about 60% less power,
but they cost ten times as much as regular bulbs. Besides that, after
watching that one go up in smoke, I think they are a fire hazzard.

I don't know where you buy the bulbs, but ten times cost is way out of line.
I pay more like 2 bucks per fluorescent when bot in four or six packs. The
price differential between the local hardware store and Home Depot is about
3 to 4 times the cost. Are you buying on the corner store? I also am getting
very long life from them, and am getting the same light output for about a
third to a quarter of the wattage. Three or four years ago I replaced about
35-40 incandescents in and outside the house with CF, and only two or three
have burned out, at different times, not together. I am convince that the
burn-outs were premature due to bad qual. control in the earlier models.
Either you have bought older stock, a bogus brand, or may have surges,
moisture (bath) or other probs with your wiring or switch system. I think,
at least from my experience, they are reliable and cheap for what they do.