andrew

Andy Dingley wrote:

On Sat, 30 Jul 2005 15:28:24 -0500, "Chris
wrote:

It is impossible to set the two tanks at the same hydrostatic height in
order to stop this natural transfer.

Can you mount the immersion tank _above_ the fire tank ?

With my experience of solid fuel waterheating, I've never been short of
heating capacity when the fire was lit and I've often been short of HW
storage after the fire had gone out. I'd have no problem with the fire
always heating both tanks, with thermosyphon circulation between both.
Obviously having the immersion in the upper tank and discouraging
circulation would be an improvement from that point too.

Another solution might be to rename the upper tank "single", the lower
tank "extra" and fit an immersion into the upper tank. Use the pump when
you want extra HW storage, otherwise just use the upper tank for
everything.

On a similar note I wish to add 2 solar panels to heat dhw. These have been
rescued from a swimming pool dismantling. I have been discussing it with
people on uk.environment and posted some pictures of what I think Ishould
do to make use of the panels and take the opportunity to plumb in a wood
stove back boiler.

Currently I use gas to heat a 60ltre cyclinder in summer. Some concerns have
been expressed that this will be causing waseful short cycling of the
boiler. I wonder what evidence there is for this. It has been suggested
that the short cycling would make the boiler less efficient than an offpeak
immersion, with a given daily loss from the tank of ~2kWhrs(t).

To make any sensible use of the solar I will need increased cylinder
capacity and this can only easily be fitted one floor below the current
cylinder, this makes a direct connection to the wood boiler more practical.

I have put a shematic at www.wokingnursery.co.uk/temp/solarpanel.html and
the main picture of the panels is followed by the proposed schematic and
the possible roof site for the panels, this is overdue for repair already.

AJH