RoyJ

I assume you meant belt SANDER versus belt GRINDER. To some of us
that dabble on both sides of the shop, sanders are for wood, grinders
are for metal. (Even if my little 1"x42" belt sander gets regular use
for metal.)

But if you are doing primarily metal, I'd do some extra shielding on any
open motor or a strong preference for a TEFC motor. If you are buying a
new motor, the TEFC is just not that much more. If youi opt for
shielding, the metal dust is quite heavy and does not float like wood
dust. You should be able to get by with just a good shield that covers
the top, front, and both sides. Back and bottom can be open to ensure
good cooling.

Bert wrote:
This will be primarily for metal work. Maybe I should have said belt
grinder instead of belt grinder. Don't know if the previous responders
assumed metal or wood...

"Dave" wrote:

Bert wrote:

Just wondering if anyone in the group has any experience with or
thoughts on using an open motor for a belt sander. This will be a
home-brew sander, probably belt-driven, so I may be able to protect
the motor to some extent, but not completely. Should I anticipate a
quick death for an open motor in this application, or could I expect
just a slightly shortened life span? Would a TEFC motor be worth the
extra bucks?

Thanks.
Bert

For sanding wood or for sanding metal? For use with metal you might
have to think carefully.