Stephen Chalmers

john wrote in message ...
Doing a decorating job at my daughter's house and removed the sockets. I
found that one of them had an additional neutral. From looking at the signs
of channelling in the walls I believe it is from the wall lights circuit.
Obviously the previous owner took the live feed from the switch and the
neutral from the socket.

Incorrect - yes - but I can't see it as being dangerous as all the neutrals
are connected to a common bus block in the consumer unit.

Any views?

John

Positively lethal.
Someone decides to upgrade the ring main; they disconnect both ends from the C.U. then switch back on so that the other
circuits are still usable. Someone switches-on the wall lights - they don't work but the switch is left on. At that
point, all neutral conductors in the disconnected ring main are live.
--
Stephen Chalmers