Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
"john" writes:
Doing a decorating job at my daughter's house and removed the sockets. I
found that one of them had an additional neutral. From looking at the signs
of channelling in the walls I believe it is from the wall lights circuit.
Obviously the previous owner took the live feed from the switch and the
neutral from the socket.

Incorrect - yes - but I can't see it as being dangerous as all the neutrals
are connected to a common bus block in the consumer unit.

Any views?

It is dangerous, and not allowed.
Someone doing some work on the ring circuit (like you are)
might quite reasonably expect it to be safe when the fuse/MCB
is disabled, but if that light is switched on, they could be
electrocuted by contact with a neutral wire.

--
Andrew Gabriel