Gene Goldenfeld

Default RCA TV won't power on

I'd like to ask some guidance on this one before going off to a repair
shop, or forbid, having to buy a new TV. Out of the blue the other day,
the power button on my late 1980s vintage RCA 27" didn't draw a
reponse. After determining it wasn't a source problem, I pushed reset
and it started up. Since then it won't power up and pushing reset
doesn't help. This model - JKR985RR - is one of those 'race track'
models, as one tech once called it, i.e., the kind built rock solid with
a bigger transformer (and power supply?) to withstand use at places like
race tracks and work forever. Is this likely the power supply or
transformer that's gone bad? Thanks,

Gene Goldenfeld