Jeff Liebermann

On Sat, 30 Jul 2005 18:17:50 GMT, "NSM" wrote:

"Jeff Liebermann" wrote in message
.. .

For the curious, I'm currently looking for some TL607 FET Switches.

However, I would prefer the real part.

That's a tough one!

Not really. I've practiced parts cannibalism and circuit redesign
before in order to replace obsolete parts. I recently performed a
radical substitution for the traditional blown flyback xformer in a
Tek T922 scope. If you know how the circuit works (and have an
accurate schematic), then such redesign and substitutions are easy
enough.

However, I'm lazy and have a limited amount of time to redesign the
circuitry. I bought the Wavetek 3000b on eBay for about 60% of what
it was worth. Having worked with similar vintage service monitors
(Cushman, SSI, CT Systtems, TFT, etc), I thought it would be fairly
easy to repair. Identifying the smoking part was easy enough.
Replacing the melted socket was not much of a challenge. However, I'm
currently stuck at finding a replacement IC.

This is not the first time I've searched for old parts. What I've
found are various online "parts finder" sites, that will offer to find
obsolete semiconductors. The ritual is to fill in an online request
for a quote, and they will allegedly contact me with price and
availability. All of them list their inventory online and most show a
TL607 in stock, somewhere. One claims to have 11,000 available. If I
needed 11,000 parts, this vendor might be useful, but I only need a
few parts. In general, *AFTER* I fill in the info for a quote, the
web page announces that there's anywhere between a $100 and $400
minimum purchase. Incidentally, the $100 is a lie because this vendor
wants another $100 for "shipping and handling".

So, what I need is an online vendor, that sells small quantities of
obsolete semiconductors and IC's, that doesn't have a ridiculous
minimum. I suspect that this is a chronic and common problem in the
repair biz and was hoping that someone knew of a reliable source.

--
Jeff Liebermann
150 Felker St #D