komodore comrade

Default ever ruin the PCB when changing ICs?

hi people,

i was replacing some 2114 RAM ICs on my commodore vic, (namely position
UE5/6 and immediately over UD5/6 , on photo
http://phantom.sannata.ru/museum/img...20/vic20_6.jpg )

i soldered in 18 leg sockets to make future IC swaps easier.

my problem is that something is wrong with one socket (UD6). if i put
an old or new 2114 IC in it the VIC wont boot.

if i leave it empty the vic will partially boot.

i soldered in a new socket but did not help. what sort of solder work
defects should i look out for in diagnosing whats wrong?

thanks,
Konrad