Default treadmill motor

Several years ago I bought 2 treadmill motors from Surplus center after
hearing about them on this NG. I put one on my lathe and am using it
now. The other one I saved for a spare but now I want to put it on my
drill press.They are DC motors built by GE and they have variable speed
controls with a magnetic tach. I don't have a good speed control for my
motor (I must have used it when the lathe control gave trouble). I'm
thinking of getting a Minarik-type speed control for it but I'm
wondering how well it'll work because this is a series wound motor and
most electronic speed controls are meant to be used with shunt wound or
PM motors?
Engineman1