Upscale

"Prometheus" wrote in message
Considered railway ties yet? They certainly fulfill the *dirty*
requirement... but beyond that, they're heavy, and you can just nail
them to a couple of sawhorses. Not fancy, but I bet it'd work all
right. Put a little lip on one end by screwing a 2" x 4" to them, and
you'd be good to go.

Sounds like the original workmate, on a grander scale.

That's pretty close to what I use. I've got two Lee Valley metal folding saw
horses that I attached 4x4s to. A little bit heavy to lug around, but
definitely workable. Great for supporting something heavy and great for
screwing things to them. I've often screw pipe clamp saddles to them for
holding things down while I work on them.