Harold and Susan Vordos

"Bert" wrote in message
Just wondering if anyone in the group has any experience with or
thoughts on using an open motor for a belt sander. This will be a
home-brew sander, probably belt-driven, so I may be able to protect
the motor to some extent, but not completely. Should I anticipate a
quick death for an open motor in this application, or could I expect
just a slightly shortened life span? Would a TEFC motor be worth the
extra bucks?

Thanks.
Bert

If you can keep the vast majority of the dust off the motor, it would likely
hold up fine. As near as I can see, the only real problem is the starter
switch getting munged up. The rest of the motor is unlikely to suffer
much. I'd be interested in hearing how it goes if you use the motor in
question.

Harold