Gunner

On Sat, 30 Jul 2005 00:50:23 GMT, Steve Walker
wrote:

SteveB wrote:
SNIP

My old man was a machinist. He was a flight engineer during WW2. I bet he
could have nailed it in ten seconds.

Steve

From a web page I found:

Nailed it: To give an exact answer.

Kind of a ways off from:

"Can anyone give a straight answer? I'm not really interested in how to
do it or which machines one would use. Just a guess at how much each
would cost."

I work in a CNC shop. I'm not a garage machinist, even though I have the
skills to utilize non-CNC machines very well.(and a friend who lets me
use his.) G

I will make a guess, but it's my guess, others may charge more for their
time, or less, than me.

Aluminum material. (at least 25 ft + 50 kerfs) ????????

Saw 50 pieces to 6" length. 20 bucks

Turn down middle of bar. (50 pcs) 150 bucks

4 flutes, 3/16" wide keycutter (50 pcs) 200 bucks

deburr 50 pcs (fiber wheel) 50 bucks

Comes out to about 420 bucks + material, + customer's attitude. G

Now..if the machinist stacked (4) 3/16" radiused cutters on a
horizontal miller...they could be wacked out in just a few seconds per
side. Which should bring the cost down.

Gunner

Liberals - Cosmopolitan critics, men who are the friends
of every country save their own. Benjamin Disraeli