Andrew Gabriel

Default Fitting cheap carpet

In article ,
"Jackie" writes:
Hi how do people normally fit carpet? I fold over about an inch and staple
it down. However the next carpet is one of these felt? backed carpets and I
cut it to the correct size and it does not look very nice round the edge
against the grain?. (it will have to do now.) I am going to fit another
carpet, felt backed, to replace a foam back carpet which only lasted 8 years
before the foam dried up, and that was with the correct paper underlay). So
should I fold over the edges round the room or find someone who can cut the
carpet better than me? This will probably cost more to fit than the carpet
cost. (end of roll). What do other people do?

I've only ever taken up such carpets, but they all seemed to be fitted
with a line of glue around the edge of the floor holding the carpet,
with the paper underlay stopping just short of this glue line.
A flat edged garden spade is the easiest thing I found for removing
the line of glue and the backing which remains stuck to it.

--
Andrew Gabriel