Bill Janssen

Brian Thorn wrote:

On Fri, 29 Jul 2005 21:01:23 GMT, Richard the Dreaded Libertarian
wrote:

I just get rankled that with all of that investigation stuff, they didn't
just go back to the design that worked, without falling apart.

There is no such design. Insulation has been coming off since STS-1.
NASA just dodged that bullet for 112 flights, then came Columbia's
last flight.

Brian

I think it is interesting that a "chunk" of insulation came off. I would
think that once started,
a strip of insulation would come off. So, in my mind it is interesting
that only a spot dislodged
and not more. Could it be that the extreme vibration caused local
flexing which dislodged the
foam ?

Interesting problem.

Bill K7NOM