Mike Dodd

Christian McArdle wrote:
Despite using it only on the very rare occasion, one battery is now
completely dead (wouldn't charge), and the other discharges after about 10
minute work.

Yes. I wouldn't expect a NiCd battery to last more than a year without
occasional exercising. They don't like being kept in a discharged condition
and they will discharge themselves after a month or two. I doubt that there
is a court in the land that will accept a claim for a 3 year old NiCd
battery. A new one sitting on the shelf would be toast after that period.

Agreed completely. The failure is, at least in part, attributable to the
way that the drill's been (not) used.