Prometheus

On 28 Jul 2005 14:47:16 GMT, (Jonathan Mau)
wrote:

Hi Folks:

I have a 24 inch wood plane and I want to joint construction
materials up to 12 feet long. Unfortunately I am learning that a plane is
only as good as the bench underneath it.

I currently have some 2x4s nailed to a wall and I hold the stock with
bar clamps. This works, but poles tend to come loose and I
occasionally run my hand into the wall studs. Consequently I go real slowly.

I am in the building construction phase and constructing a real bench would
just eat up time and have to be moved as I work on different areas in the
building.

If I could source them I would probably just get a pair of 3 foot diameter
3 foot high sections of tree trunk. That would be 200 or 300 pounds of mass
and I could then just roll the bench to a new location as required in a
matter of minutes.

I think you get the idea. I am looking for ideas of something quick to
construct and rapidly mobile to joint large stock.

Considered railway ties yet? They certainly fulfill the *dirty*
requirement... but beyond that, they're heavy, and you can just nail
them to a couple of sawhorses. Not fancy, but I bet it'd work all
right. Put a little lip on one end by screwing a 2" x 4" to them, and
you'd be good to go.