I would probably put a piece of scrap wood in the vise that is slightly
larger than the plate and low enough in the vise so the plate will not
turn when placed on top of the wood. Some chance that the plate will
be sucked up the drill when it breaks through so watch the fingers.

Dan

Ignoramus27279 wrote:

The electrical box will be covered by a solid, "blind" standard
cover. I will drill two 1/2" holes in the cover to accommodate my
pushbutton switches that I salvaged from some equipment earlier. One
switch (NO) will be the start switch and the NC switch will be the
stop switch.

The issue is, how do I drill big holes in small plate. I cannot simply
fixate it in my vise, because it would bend. I cannot drill 1/2" holes
and hold the plate with pliers, I know that it is unsafe. Help me
resolve this quandary. I have a regular floor drill press.