SQLit

"DenverHouse" wrote in message
ups.com...
We have a new house that was recently built in Denver, CO (so we will
only run the A/C 2-3 mo/yr). We were looking at having a 3.0 ton 13+
SEER unit installed. We have had estimates using American Standard,
Trane, Tappan, Carrier and (soon to get quote on Rheem).

We are thinking of choosing between Carrier and Tappan as we don't need
the best due to pricing and the fact that it will not be run
constantly. Both installers seem compitent although the Carrier
installer does large volumes for home builders, while the Tappan is an
indept. installer and comes recommended by our inspector. Any
suggestions?

Buy the highest Seer that you can afford.

The contractor chosen should do a Manual J calculation. Not ask the sqft of
the home and then look at all the rooms. A detailed inspection of the duct
work should be done. That way the contractor will be aware of all the
situations.

A residential home builder installer, says to me bottom dollar. ( my
opinion ) Where I live the contractor that does a lot of the home new builds
has been sued for lots of dollars several times. Once even by the state. Not
a guy that I would want doing my home. I would definately check one of the
1-2 year old home owners and see what problems and suggestions they have
about the mechinical system.
I owned a 1999 built home that was done by this guy. There were 220 homes in
the HOA that I lived in. My compressor even with a blanket on the it was
almost 70 db on the patio. Some were so load that you could hear them
several homes away.

Equipment is the least of your worries. A 13+ is just that no matter what
the sheetmetal says or what color it is. I would definately recommend a
scroll compressor. Last longer, and they are quieter. The installer makes
or breaks the system.

Who ever you choose research and check on the previous installs. Best of
luck