Jim Adney

On Thu, 28 Jul 2005 02:27:50 GMT "John Adams" wrote:

"Jim Adney" wrote in message ...
On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 05:34:11 GMT "Andy Sullivan"
wrote:

There's no splitter to my knowledge. They just replaced the old 2
conductor cable with a multiple pair cable but only connected 1 of the
new pairs. It is my understanding that the other pairs are just
sitting there for possible future expansion.

But at what point does the mutiple pair cable begin? It is likely
being divided (split) all the way from the telco's drop wire, since
splitting after the drop wouldn't allow for any expansion. This
means the signal strength on your phone line is much lower than
it was prior to the multi-pair cable being installed. You wouldn't
be able to hear a difference, i.e. the phone line might still sound ok.

The multiple pair cable IS the drop from the pole to the house. It is
my understanding that the unused pairs have been left disconnected at
both ends. I am only able to personally verify that the ends at my
hose are not connected to anything.

Now that you mention it, I guess I could verify that the free
conductors at my end do not seem to be connected to anything else by
just checking them for voltage and resistance.

-
Jim Adney
Madison, WI 53711 USA