Tom

On 27 Jul 2005 07:12:13 -0700, "Brett"
wrote:

I'm quite confused by the couplers for air hoses, tools and
compressors. The compressor that I am going to buy has a 1/4" outlet.
The hose I bought is a 3/8" and the tools that I bought have a 1/4"
inlet although they recommend a 3/8" hose. What type of connectors do
I need? When I see a 1/4" or a 3/8" coupler does that mean the hose
side, the connector side, or both sides? What size do I need for my
setup? Do I have to buy a special 1/4" to 3/8" adapter?

My other question is about water traps and oilers. I've read that it's
best to place them as close to the tool as possible. However, the ones
that I have seen on HF and NorthernTool look quite large and heavy and
look like they are supposed to attach directly to the air compressor
outlet and not dangle from the end of the tool. Are there lightweight
ones that easily attach to the tool itself? Any recommendations on
where I can find one and a good brand? Thanks,

The most common and best choice is 1/4" Industrial. Most of
these will interchange with each other. The best coupler I ever found
was Cejn. I used to own a tool repair shop and my mechanic coupled and
uncoupled hoses constantly while repairing and testing tools. They
were always being dropped or slammed into the bench yet they would
last for years. They are also push to connect which is real handy when
connecting tools - it's a real PITA to have to slide the collar back
to connect a tool.
As to filters and lubricators - most are located near the
outlet of the compressor but if you have a fairly long run and
multiple drops it is best to locate them at each drop. Another way to
help eliminate water is to have an uphill run with a trap at the
bottom to drain condensed water. It also helps to blow down the
compressor tank frequently. We ran a copper tube from the tank drain
to the outside of the building with a ball valve. It was easy to open
the ball valve and blow all of the water from the tank. Good luck.