jim rozen

In article .com,
says...

Just curious, whats a "bright-line rule"?

Rules that work well for small folks. There's
no gray area, there's only a single, bright line
so it's easy to tell if you are complying, or not.

For example, my household has a bright line rule
that there's 8 hours between the bottle and any
throttle. This means no drinking if you have to
drive home. None.

Or, my daughter wears safety glasses at all
times when in a shop or lab. No question about the
activity going on, it's an absolute.

With canoes, the rules are no standing up in the boat,
and if the boat sinks, stay with the boat.

With guns, the rule is, all guns are always loaded, all
the time, and are treated as such - ie never point
a loaded gun at anything you do not want to destroy.

When kids are small it makes it easy - 'stay in the
yard' or 'you have to hold my hand in parking lots' or
'vehicles are not toys' - for them to understand how
to behave correctly.

Jim

please reply to: