Gerald Ross

Andy Dingley wrote:
I want to do some bronze casting, using the cuttlefish bone moulding
process - a mould is carved or pressed directly into the cuttlefish.

I have my cuttles. Now I need to machine them a little to make flat
surfaces, interlocking keys etc. Any advice ?

Can I machine cuttlefish bone as I would timber ? Is the dust a hazard
to me, or my machinery ? Will it shatter if I go at it with power
tools?

How should I machine it ? What's the best bit of bone to use? Do I
need mortice and tenon keyways in it, and if so, how do I form them?

Thanks for any advice you can offer.

Use the soft side, almost like styrofoam. I used to flatten mine on a
concrete block, squeeze them together over the original object and notch
or mark the mating spots. Take them apart, remove the object and cut a
sprue notch on one end (of both), then re position them together and
wire together. You can cut it with a knife on the soft side.

Once upon a time I lived on the beach in Sicily and would pick them up
in my backyard. This is rather crude casting but fun.

--
Gerald Ross
Cochran, GA

D.A.M. -- Mothers Against Dyslexia