Andy Dingley

On 28 Jul 2005 14:47:16 GMT, (Jonathan Mau)
wrote:

I think you get the idea. I am looking for ideas of something quick to
construct and rapidly mobile to joint large stock.

Trestles. I can't work big timber without trestles.

Convenient height, good big and stable, and either nesting or hinged to
pack flat. They don't need to be the same length, which can be an easy
way to make them nest. A pair is essential, three or four are good when
cross-cutting with big offcuts.

Make the top from something thick, soft and disposable - maybe 2"x6",
4"x8" or bigger. Don't allow metal fasteners with a few inches of the
top surface. Now you can use a circular saw and just let it rip into the
top surface as much as you like. If they get too tatty, re-surface the
tops.

Make them solid enough to stand on, as decorating staging. One day you
_will_ do this !

Horses are useful for really chunky work too. These are Japanese
miniature trestles, about 12" wide and 6" high, just a thick board held
vertically by a couple of feet in halved joints. Four horses will lift
a table or bed frame off the ground for finishing work or similar.

Another idea is a Japanese planing beam. This is a thick beam (10"
square or bigger) with one end resting on the ground and the other
propped up on a lashed-together X frame. There's a planing stop at
wasit height, or a bit lower.

Tou use it, get a Japanese pull plane and work downwards, into the stop.