RBM

A 14/2 cable has three conductors: Black-White-Bare and yes 14 gauge goes on
a 15 amp breaker and 12 gauge on a 20: Black wire to breaker and white to
neutral bar and ground to either neutral bar or equipment ground bar
depending on the panel
"Marc" wrote in message
14/2 refes to the gauge and number of wires. In this instance, 14 is the
gauge and2 means there are two wires (black and red, along with a ground
which is not counted). 14 gauge is connected to a 15 amp breaker. 12
gauge
would be connected to a 20 amp breaker.
"CL (dnoyeB) Gilbert" wrote in message
RBM wrote:
All outlets in unfinished areas of a basement are required by current

NEC
regulations to be GFCI protected. There are some exceptions to this,but

they
wouldn't apply to your general use outlet
"CL (dnoyeB) Gilbert" wrote in message
news

Roger. Bought GFCI at Lowes today and will install next weekend
probably. Looks simple enough considering I installed this outlet pair.
I also installed the breaker and wiring. Im going to make sure the
breaker matches the wiring again. The wiring is 14-2, I assume 14 is
the gauge, but not sure what the 2 is. Plus I never pay attention to
copper vs. AL. I dont recall matching the outlet to the wiring either.
I gotta get my head around this stuff. fortunately its only milliamps.

My basement was unfinished when I moved in. The box which was already
at the service panel was indeed a GFCI, the sump pump on other side of
the house was not GFCI, unless its connected to some other GFCI
somewhere which I doubt and surely hope not.

im having my basement finished now, and those newly installed are not

GFCI.

--
Respectfully,

CL Gilbert