tarquinlinbin

Default Query;Upvc DG and building regs

Hi All

We have had a recent visit from someone to quote for replacement
windows.

We had hoped that we could have large glass panels at the bottom with
single and/or twin top openers at the top,depending on width of
window,, i.e twin top openers on the wider windows.

Our man says this is a problem though because it would not be in
compliance with building control regs with regard to fire escape. The
bottom line is that it seems me must have side openners on the bedroom
windows to allow escape but the rest,i.e ground floor and landing
windows,could be top openers. Of course this may spoil the look of the
front/rear elevation of the house as we would then have a mix of top
and side openers.

Apparently the above is to be in compliance with a reg change in
2002?? or something like that?.

If the windows are not in compliance with the reg then a FENSA reg/or
building control cert cannot be obtained.

Our man says he usually obtains the building control cert in
preference to FENSA as FENSA only inspect a small proportion of
installs whereas local authority building control inspect all installs
that they certify.

So the bottom line is,comply and therefore get a cert,flout and dont
get a cert.

Our man says that if we dont have a cert,(not in strict compliance)
then this will be picked up by a surveyor acting on behalf of any
future purchaser.

I guess i'm asking,is the building control cert really necessary or is
it common place to flout?.

I expect ALL installs done by big national co's would HAVE to be in
full compliance?

any thoughts welcome..

joe