mike hide

"George" George@least wrote in message

"Mike W" mwenz *@* wenzloff.com wrote in message
news:lvUFe.13381$Eo3.9710@trnddc08...
It doesn't need to. One should be able to rip, joint and reglue without
disturbing the grain noticeably.

I showed in a message above what can be done, and I'm doing another in a
couple days out of Mahogany. You won't be able to tell.

The whole flipping growth rings (up, down, up)--if that's what you
mean--is a myth. Just place them for best looks.

Well, would that be "many" or one board you're using?.

As long as we're at the dance, the reason you would rip and rejoin is to
break the tight rings around the heart, where the rate of curvature is the
highest. As luck would have it, the grain there is quartered, making an
easy re-match possible. To make more than two boards to be reglued

wouldn't
do a bit of good, so I'm sure that's not what you mean.

If you do, get out and read Hoadley.

How about forgettng the joiner and hand plane one side roughly flat . The
easiest way I have found to do this is to use a scrub plane across the
grain.
Having done this run it through a planer with the just flattened side on the
bed . Keep runnung it through the planer until the whole side is finished .
flip and resurface the rough handplaned surface. Now leave it for a few
days to let it stabilize, then recheck for flatness , if not, repeat the
process until it is . don't forget to store when complete upright or at
least where both sides get the same air exposure .....mjh