Meoww

Default How long before one fires one's estate agent and gets another?

Mike Mitchell wrote in message . ..
My house isn't selling, and I am just not getting enough viewers
through the door. Time to think about getting a different agent, I
reckon.

What do you think?

The house has been on the maket since the end of March and reduced
twice (I think the starting price was too high a valuation).

How many viewings does it take on average before a buyer is found and
how can I judge that I'm not jumping out of the frying pan into the
fire by moving to a different agent?

Is the market (South-East) as buoyant as many agents keep telling me?
Or are they all engaged in wishful thinking?

MM

People will only buy your house if they know it's for sale. Self
evident of course but therein lies the test of the skill and energy
(or otherwise) of your estate agent. Is your property being
advertised? If so , where?

Is it regulary seen in the local papers, is it well sited in the
showroom, is it on the Internet. If yes to all these, then are the
photographs doing the property justice and is the prose all that's
required or is it wanting? (I'm aware of the PMA but the agent is
still allowed to be enthusiastic)!

When people come to see the property, are they being made to feel
welcome (big smiles from the vendors) and are you trying to establish
a relationship, no matter how transient, or are they just being
allowed to breeze through and out again.

Your agent should be doing his best for you because if he doesn't sell
your house, he problably won't get paid. If you think he (she) is
lacking in any of the above, talk to them. Not in a 'get your finger
out of your arse' kind of way but more as two adults who are trying to
achieve the same end.

If this doesn't work or you feel your agent really can't cut the
mustard then look before you leap into another's arms. The next agent
could be just the same (good or bad) or maybe your house is just going
to take a bit longer to sell than most. But it will sell eventually -
don't worry.

By the way, I'll bet he valued it higher than anyone else when you had
them all round for the free valuation (didn't he)?

This might sound trite but you don't find out how good your agent
really is until you've got your buyer. That's when he (she) could be
worth their weight in gold to you. The actual offer is often a matter
of luck, the negotiations and hand holding are a matter of skill! Form
a relationship with him (her) (not necessarily sexual) and talk to
them often!

Regards

Patrick