Charlie Self

Jonathan Mau wrote:
Hi Folks:

I have a 24 inch wood plane and I want to joint construction
materials up to 12 feet long. Unfortunately I am learning that a plane is
only as good as the bench underneath it.

I currently have some 2x4s nailed to a wall and I hold the stock with
bar clamps. This works, but poles tend to come loose and I
occasionally run my hand into the wall studs. Consequently I go real slowly.

I am in the building construction phase and constructing a real bench would
just eat up time and have to be moved as I work on different areas in the
building.

If I could source them I would probably just get a pair of 3 foot diameter
3 foot high sections of tree trunk. That would be 200 or 300 pounds of mass
and I could then just roll the bench to a new location as required in a
matter of minutes.

I think you get the idea. I am looking for ideas of something quick to
construct and rapidly mobile to joint large stock.

Three B&D Workmates, or some of the offbrands. One at or near each end,
one in the middle, and two 50 pound sandbags (or three, or four,
depending on your strength and weight) on the bottom shelf of each.
Relatively easy to move around--sandbags in a wheelbarrow, the rest by
hand--as needed. This isn't good for any big time face planing, but for
jointing 2x lumber, it should work nearly perfectly.