Lee Michaels

"Jonathan Mau" wrote in message

Hi Folks:

I have a 24 inch wood plane and I want to joint construction
materials up to 12 feet long. Unfortunately I am learning that a plane is
only as good as the bench underneath it.

I currently have some 2x4s nailed to a wall and I hold the stock with
bar clamps. This works, but poles tend to come loose and I
occasionally run my hand into the wall studs. Consequently I go real
slowly.

I am in the building construction phase and constructing a real bench
would
just eat up time and have to be moved as I work on different areas in the
building.

If I could source them I would probably just get a pair of 3 foot diameter
3 foot high sections of tree trunk. That would be 200 or 300 pounds of
mass
and I could then just roll the bench to a new location as required in a
matter of minutes.

I think you get the idea. I am looking for ideas of something quick to
construct and rapidly mobile to joint large stock.

Thanks for your ideas.

There all kinds of portable solutions Jonathan. But in your case, you need
something strong, portable and can be moved by one man. Tree trunks would
then prove to be problematic.

There is what I would do. There are a ton of plans for stacking, angled
wood sawhorses. I would make them wider and stronger than normal. I would
them come up with some kind of bench top. Maybe a plywood torsion box. I
would have the capability of putting some kind of bench stops on this bench
top to control the stock that is being planed. I would have some stops on
the bottom of the top to fit over the saw horses. I would just put some
scraps under the sawhorses to acheive some kind of minimal levelness.

One other thing. If you got a massive plane like that to lug around, I would
make a nice case for it. Maybe with some room for measuring tools.