Lawrence Wasserman

In article .com,
rkruz wrote:
Ive read that Red Oak is not recommend for cutting boards due to its
open grain and holding food that grows bacteria.

If one was to make a butcher block cutting board, using the end grain
of Red Oak do you think that would be ok?

Seems to me the end grain is very tight and hard and might work ok.

I have a lot of scrap that would be nice to use for making some xmas
gifts.

Any thoughts?

thanks!

The end grain of red oak is like a bunch of little tubes or soda
straws bundled together. In fact, yu can take s stick of
straight-grained red oak, put one end in a glass of water, blow
throught the other end, and actually have bubbles come out under the
water. Not a good choice for a cutting board.

--

Larry Wasserman Baltimore, Maryland