Owen Lowe

In article .com,
"tom" wrote:

Of what wood species(if any) are the candlesticks made?

African Blackwood with bone inserts where the candle would go. I chose a
very dark and almost featureless wood as I wanted the form to really
stand out and not be in competition with the wood. From across the room
they look ebony-black but if you're holding them in your hands they have
a beautiful yet very dark black and brown swirling grain in the bases.

Acquiring this wood was the first time I ever bought wood sight unseen.
I have to put a plug in for James Griffin of Griffin Exotic Wood in
Colorado. He runs an ad in the back of the AAW Journal and is a very
pleasant guy to talk with. He's a turner who knows what's required in
quality wood and this Blackwood was fantastic. I chose "IQ2" - near
instrument quality for this project and plan on ordering some more in
the next couple days as he's got a July sale going on. The wood
certainly wasn't inexpensive, but when I get an idea of how I want
something to look, I don't mind paying the price to get the materials to
carry it off.

Portland has one of the West's largest specialty wood importers and they
had no Blackwood bowl blanks (used for the bases) or had any desire to
help locate some and their spindle blanks were marginal in quality. If
you haven't gotten the message yet, I highly recommend Griffin!

http://www.exoticwood.biz

--
Owen Lowe

Northwest Woodturners,
Cascade Woodturners,
Pacific Northwest Woodturning Guild
___
Safety Tip'o'th'week: Never grind aluminum and steel or iron on the same
machine or workstation - Thermite.
http://www.hanford.gov/lessons/sitell/ll01/2001-36.htm