Owain

Default How long before one fires one's estate agent and gets another?

"Mike Mitchell" wrote
| My house isn't selling, and I am just not getting enough viewers
| through the door. Time to think about getting a different agent,
| I reckon.
| What do you think?

Unless the agent is really lazy or incompetent, there isn't usually much to
choose between them. (I worked in an estate agency once.)

What you could do is get a relative/friend/colleage to masquerade as a
potential buyer and go in and see how the agent treats them and whether your
property is actively marketed, the agent might be trying to sell another
property harder because he knows he'll get a mortgage from the other
vendor's purchase, or because selling another property means that vendor can
buy another property which the agent is also trying to sell.

You should also find out from the agency how many schedules they've given
out and what the reasons were for not viewing. If people are saying "It
looks like a busy road" then get another photo taken without cars in front
of the house.

The other thing is your property may simply be out of character or location
for that agency. No point is using an agency the other side of town because
your brother's dating the typist, or because you thought their schedules
were particularly tastefully presented in parchment folders with tassels; if
the bulk of the agency's business is Lux Exec Det in Upper Scrummingham they
won't have many clients looking for Ex LA Ideal 1st Time Buy in Sewage Farm
Meadows. Consider all the other houses which have sold in your street
recently - which agencies' boards were outside and are you using an agency
that is popular with people looking for your type of property in your area.

Owain