Prometheus

On Wed, 27 Jul 2005 11:15:09 -0400, "Brad"
wrote:

I bought a home with hardwood floors in the half of the home. The flooring
was laid with the boards (2.25" x 3/4" T&G oak) running parallel to the
floor joists. I want to install hardwood throughout the rest of house, but I
am concerned about the flooring orientation. Aesthetically, it won't look
pleasing if I switch the board direction.

Not quite clear here- are you worried about the fact that the
exisiting flooring is parallel to the joists and don't want to do any
more like that, or is it just that you'd prefer a different
orientation?

If the former, that's going to depend largely on what the sub-floor is
made of, if the latter, you could consider installing a transition
area that includes both orientations (think nested picture frames) to
break up the pattern, and make the switch look more intentional.

Is this something I should be concerned with, or should I just continue with
the flooring "as is".

Thanks,
Brad

PS- The current flooring is showing no signs of buckling or any signs of
movement. They are three years old.

If it was put in right, it shouldn't- the wood floors in my house are
50 years old, parallel to the joists, and are just fine.