raden

In message , Blair
writes

"Alex" wrote in message
Blair wrote:
Thanks for you help. I've certainly learnt a lot from your message- I

had no
idea that a multimeter had this facility.
Unfortunately in my case when I looked my multimeter does not have this
facility and it cost me £17.50!

You need to set it to measure resistance. If there's no connection it
will be infinite. Otherwise it should display a low number.

alex.

--
Alex Meaden
Technical Support Officer

Thanks for your help, I.m learning a lot!
In my case when I read resistance on a continuous rail I get 0 but if there
is a break I get 1. I had assumed that infinite would be a very large number
or am I wrong?

Well, actually, you'll probably get somewhere between 0.3 and
1.something depending on the resistance of the leads

"Infinite" or rather open circuit is usually denoted by 1. on the right
side of the display or OC or something like that

Touch the probes together, you'll soon see the difference

And you normally get a buzzer on the lowest resistance scale

--
geoff