Andrew Gabriel

Default URGENT - install Main Medway or Mersey???

In article ,
ohawker (Andy Evans) writes:
I spoke again to my plumber - seems the main thing is that the Mersey is still
in production, while the Medway was discontinued 3months ago. He further said
that the only difference between the models was that the Medway had a flow rate
control at the heater (rather than at the tap), and noted that this was in
reality a rheostat rather than a thermostat. And so, being a flow rate
inhibitor you could achieve the same thing by turning the tap further on or
off. I suppose, therefore, that Baxi deleted the Medway since the Mersey was
doing the same job in practice. Is all this correct? Andy

Looking at their website, it looks like the Medway, Mersey, and Thames
no longer exist. They now have just one unit which would appear to be
the Medway in functionality, although not in name.

The Thames was the fully Thermostatic one. I think the Medway was more
than just a flow control, but does not respond so well to fluctuating
input water pressure. The Mersey just relied on you adjusting the flow
rate at the tap for temperature control, but had a fixed flow restrictor
to limit the max flow. (I might have the Mersey and Medway the wrong way
round, but the Thames was definately the top of the range of the three.)

Going back over the years, they have changed the model names -- I had
a Main Medina IIRC which was probably circa 1980, which was equivalent
to the Mersey. They were designed to be replaceable/upgradable without
changing the flue -- the Medway has alternate mounting holes designed
to enable it to mount on the Medina's flue.

There is also a fanned flue version now, which they didn't used to do
AFAIK.

--
Andrew Gabriel