Chuck Sherwood

leave the ends like they are one inch on each end ...............

turn down the middle to 7/8" diameter ...........

Sounds easy. I think my middle you mean 4 inchs.
The important detail here is the tolerance.

put lengthwise flutes in it ............
So it looked like an antique wood column when done?

Now your getting more involved. I think that means you
want a lot of closely spaced flutes. Maybe 16?
I assume you want concave flutes? What width?
This could get to be quite time consuming.

Will consider any and all ideas.

How about knurling the center instead of fluting?